As I said, I had checked everything out. So, I proceeded to delete everything off my old computer. I boxed it up and had it ready to ship off to Gazelle for a nice little chunk of change. My new iMac was already backed up to my TIme Machine, so I deleted the backup of my old machine to free up space. Then I made some unfortunate discoveries.
- None of my application preferences were copied.
- My keychain wasn’t copied.
- iTunes said it moved my library, and some of the tracks played just fine, but over 6,000 tracks can’t be found. They are all right where they should be, but iTunes doesn’t recognize them and tries to find my old machine on the network when I try to play them.
- While I was very careful about transferring all of my received email, I had forgotten about my sent messages. All of the email I sent from my primary email account on my home machine since about 2003 is gone.
Issues 1 and 2 are inconvenient, but not too big a deal. Every time I launch one of my apps for the first time on the new iMac, I have to enter my license key and then set up the application. All of my passwords are stored in 1Password, so losing my keychain only means that every website that I’ve told Safari to remember my credentials for has been forgotten.
Issue number 3 is more of a pain. I could point iTunes to each track individually to fix them all, but that would take forever. Since it tries to connect to a remote server each time, there is a long pause before I’m able to point it to the correct file. And while it should find all the other missing tracks in the same location, it for some reason refuses to recognize them. Luckily, I subscribed to iTunes Match, so I’m just having it redownload all of the missing tracks from iCloud. Then I’ll trash the duplicate files.
Issue number 4 is the real kicker. If I hadn’t been in such a rush to get my old machine off to Gazelle before their offer on it expired, I would have been able to recover the email messages from Time Machine. Then, of course, there was my Backblaze remote backup, from which I should have been able to restore anything. No luck. After the initial Migration Assistant transfer, the new iMac tried to back up to Backblaze identifying itself as my old machine. Soon after, I got a message from Backblaze stating that my backup was locked. Their recommended fix was to delete the existing backup, create a new backup account, transfer my license to the new account, and then back up everything from scratch. I had already started this process. So, while I typically have everything backed up in multiple places, in this particular instance, I had deleted all of my backups. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!
So there you have it: the perfect storm. I’ll take my lesson from this, and in the future, I won’t be so confident in cutting my lifelines. I hope you, dear reader, can benefit from the warning of my mistakes.