While my proposals weren’t accepted for Interaction 12, I’ve decided to go ahead and develop the talks so that they are ready to present elsewhere. After all, one of them is short and practically complete in my head, and the other is a subject that I’m particularly interested in at the moment. To that end, I’d like to gather some information. I’m interested to know how well designers are generally integrated in the software development process.
- As an Interaction Designer (or similar), how integrated are you with your software development team?
- Do you utilize some of the same tools that the developers use?
- Are you tasked through issue tracking software like JIRA?
- Do you record bugs and issues against your product?
- Do you check your work into Subversion, GitHub, or some other repository?
- Do developers consult with you on every UI decision that must be made, from behaviors to buttons and error messages?
- Are there management-sanctioned processes in place that require design involvement?
- How much implementation are you responsible for?
- Do you work directly in the code base?
- Do you participate in code reviews?
- Are you involved in functional testing?
- What kind of relationship do you have with the developers you work with?
- Are you co-located with developers?
Please answer any or all of these questions in the comments.